Thursday, August 22, 2013

Self-Statement for Faculty Review


Since the season for academic merit reviews and promotions is around the corner, I have attached an example self-statement from early in my career as a professor. I hope you find it useful!

Prof. MineralPhys Self-Statement on Research, Teaching, Service

I list the following as my finest accomplishments during my first year as a professor at Big State Research University (BSRU).
A: finding my way to the sixth floor without getting lost,
B: surviving being faculty meeting scribe for a quarter
C: bewildering the dept. chair with my sense of humor
D: avoiding being tarred-and-feathered by undergraduate mineralogy student
E: not accidently burning a hole through the Geology Building with my brand new Nd:YAG laser beam.

Further details on my accomplishments in research, teaching and service are below.

Research
            My research falls into two distinct areas:  1:  Ideas that work, and 2: Ideas that don’t.  Most of my work is of the second variety. Since I have been at BSRU, one project has definitely fallen in the first category.  However, due to my filing paperwork with BSRU’s Office of Intellectual Property, I am not at liberty to discuss this project. I have attached the encouraging notice I received from the OIP at the bottom of this statement.

I still have several active projects that have not yet fallen in either category.  These projects include:  1) Making measurements on useful physical properties of important Earth materials, 2) Making measurements on useful chemical properties of important Earth materials, 3) Making measurements of useful physical and chemical properties of materials that have nothing to do with Earth or planetary science, and 4) Making measurements of useless physical and chemical properties on all sorts of materials.

Teaching
            I report several of my students’ comments from last year’s evaluation forms:
“Not so bad for a first timer”
“After she gets a few of these under her belt, it won’t be so bad”
“The first midterm was too easy; the second midterm was impossible. Prof. is no Goldilocks”

Service
            I have served on the departmental staff services committee, but I think I have not been invited to any of the more recent meetings.  I have also served on the department’s fellowships committee.  My silence in the first year of service was rewarded by being appointed chair for the upcoming year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment