Thursday, October 3, 2013

Departmental seminar series in the geosciences gender report, Part 2


Thanks everyone for your comments yesterday.
This data is mostly from top-ranked institutions; I used the NRC rankings as a guide.
Now that I have compiled this small amount of data
I find myself wanting more.
Also, I have questions.
Last year, one of my colleagues analyzed the data and declared no significant correlation between % women on the faculty and % women speakers.

I'm curious about other, hidden correlations.
Is the data--both aggregate and distribution--consistent with a random sampling from the pool? 
Is there a correlation between NRC rankings and gender distribution?

I think this would make a really nice research project for an undergraduate in the social sciences. 
I will keep my eyes open for a collaborator for this.

Part 2
Department seminar series in the geo sciences, by gender.

Ohio State University
women
men
4
5

Arizona State University
women
men
4
9

Stanford University
women
men
0
7

University of Minnesota
women
men
4
8

Penn State
women
men
2
9

Purdue
women
men
1
9
(note: not including PhD candidates)

University of Arizona
women
men
1
17

University of Michigan
women
men
1
5

University of Chicago
women
men
2
7

U MD State Park
women
men
0
8

U Illinois
women
men
3
9

Yale
women
men
4
9

U Wisconsin Madison
women
men
3
4

U South Carolina
women
men
6
7

1 comment:

  1. While this is nice data it would be good if you would include the number of female and male professors that are at each institute (I'll leave it up to you if you want to include researcher staff or not).

    ReplyDelete