Sunday, February 16, 2014

It's Alright to Cry


Dear students, colleagues, and others who cry in my office: Not a problem. I’m such a crier myself, I’m almost relieved when you join me. This is a situation I understand. Since my own personal threshold for crying is so low, I never assume that you are necessarily close to or at the end of your tether. Just that you are a person with emotions that you are able to express. I consider myself relatively fluent in the expression of emotions (except anger, which still confounds). Here are some of the emotions that make me cry: Sadness, frustration, anger, Feeling hurt by others, missing someone dear, physical pain, others' illness. Nostalgia. Bad news or sad news. Empathy. Hope Jahren’s blog posts. Crying children. Singing children. Newborn children. Nature. Competence. Good data and/or data analysis. Successful feats of engineering. Art and music.  When I’ve finished the last page of a good book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y52bs0aX6v8&feature=kp

1 comment:

  1. Note: don't pull out the tissues *before* your office visitor starts crying.

    ReplyDelete